Friday, August 21, 2009

Well, how proud are we??

Yes, A level results day finally came as I knew it would! We were all getting more and more tense as the days dragged on and I was beginning to feel that it would never end. Then the boys found out that they could check the UCAS tracker from about 6am on Thursday morning to see if their uni had updated their status and if they had been successful with their application. It wouldn't give them their results just whether they had got a place or not. Both were adamant that they would not be checking it and would wait to collect their results from college. I thought they were very brave and would not have been able to resist if it was me. Helen, my friend, agreed and said if it was her, she would be on there at 6am and pressing refresh every two minutes!

Anyway at 6.10am yesterday morning William crept into my room and whispered 'I'm in, I've done it!' I just screamed the house down and all that leaking from the eyes started again! I just knew he was too much like his mother not to look! He said he just logged onto UCAS and read:

"The current status of your Application is: Congratulations! Your place at University of Cambridge (C05) to study Mathematics (G100) has been confirmed."

There was a lot of hugging and sqeezing going on, as you can imagine. Thomas then woke up with the noise and decided he may as well check his then. Thankfully his was a 'Congratulations' as well.

We did lots and lots of shouting and even more hugging and eye leaking before we managed to calm down! I made them eggy bread and sausages for their breakfast and we waited on pins until it as a reasonable time to ring everyone! I must amit I rang Helen at 6.30am and she was round like a shot to congratulate then and do more eye leaking!

We went to college for 10am where they met all their friends and went into collect their results. William had not dissappointed and came out with AAAA (maths, further maths, chemistry and physics) and Grade 1 in both his STEP papers. Thomas, by working so hard, had achieved the equivalent of AAB and we are so pleased for him. Twelve months ago that would have been unthinkable so he has really turned it all round!

So William is off to Emmanuel at Cambridge to do even harder adding up (maths) and Thomas is off to Ambleside (old St Martin's) to do finger painting and sticking things (Primary Education) and we could not be any prouder if we tried.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done to both of you.julie you must be very proud.
michelles

Aky said...

Fabulous news - good luck to them both!!!
Aky

Anonymous said...

What proud parents you and John are, as you know I am so pleased for both boys, even if I was woken at 6.30 ! Just a bit worried about you when they leave !
Helen x